Student Services and Supports Available Fall 2021
A comprehensive list of resources, and student services and supports for students learning virtually through alternate delivery and in-person on campus.
Technology for Alternative Delivery
For students studying virtually and through alternate delivery, these are common platforms or apps utilized by SLC.
Blackboard is a virtual learning environment that provides access to course information, materials, assignments, and other resources provided by your professor. See our IT guides for information on how to access your courses or login. Tip: Accessing Blackboard through your slc.me account can help avoid error messages.
As a result of campus closure, access to Adobe Creative Cloud in labs and classrooms is not available. Adobe has provided temporary at-home access for impacted students and faculty so that you can continue your work remotely. Please follow the instructions below to enable access to Creative Cloud Desktop Apps on your personal device.
- Visit creativecloud.adobe.com and enter your college email address.
- If prompted, select Company or School Account.
- This will redirect you to the slc.me splash screen where you will enter your SLC credentials. You will then be presented the Creative Cloud website.
- From the Creative Cloud website, browse for and download your desired app. Click Apps on the top of the page to view all apps.
- Click the “Get Desktop app” Button.
- Click “Install”.
For more information on how to download or install apps, see Download and Install Creative Cloud apps.
For students to continue developing skills, Adobe offers free “Daily Creative Challenges”. These are guided projects where participants receive creative prompts and connect with pros, mentors, and other students for feedback and support. Click on the app name to learn more: Photoshop, XD and Illustrator. Also, for inspiration and over-the-shoulder learning, watch pros share their creative process on Adobe Live daily at www.behance.net/adobelive.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the IT Service Desk at 613.544.5400 ext. 4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Install and use Microsoft Office software and apps for FREE on up to 5 of your personal devices (including mobile devices).
- To use your free subscription, install directly from your SLC email account and log in using your SLC email address.
- This free software is available to full-time students.
- The software can be downloaded on both a PC and a Mac.
UR SLC is the official St. Lawrence College platform for all Student Engagement outside the classroom.
UR SLC connects you to Orientation, campus events, clubs, campus resources, and much more throughout your college career. Download from the App Store / Google Play or Login Here on your computer. Sign in with your slc.me username and password.
Note: Students will not have access to UR SLC until AFTER the deposit is paid.
Services and supports available
Below, you'll find:
- Information about services and supports students can access, whether studying virtually or in-person
- Key contact information - who to contact during COVID-19, online booking forms
- Hours of operation and any location or physical space impacts
Professional tutoring is available from the Academic Support Centre per public health guidelines. Students can book an online appointment.
Subject-based tutoring is available for:
- Writing and literacy support, including grammar and citation styles (APA Style)
- Math, statistics, and accounting
- Science, physics, and chemistry
- General tutoring and assistance with any assignment
How Does Online Tutoring Work?
SLC students should book an appointment using the online booking site.
Email Feedback Option
By choosing the email feedback option, students can upload their document or sample of writing in the appointment window and a tutor will respond by uploading a copy of your work to your appointment window containing general comments within 24 hours of the scheduled appointment. The email feedback function also applies to questions related to math, science, accounting, etc.
30-Minute Online Feedback Session via Microsoft Teams
By choosing the online feedback session via Microsoft Teams option, students can meet with a tutor using Microsoft Teams over audio, video, or both. Book your appointment using SLC Student Bookings at least 24 hours in advance of needing help. After booking your appointment, your assigned tutor will set up a Microsoft Teams calendar appointment for the time specified/booked in SLC Student Bookings.
Study resources, guides, and self-directed tutorials are available on the website.
Peer Tutoring Program
Course-based support is available from the Peer Tutoring Program. Depending on your request, you may be matched to a tutor in the Academic Support Centre or to a Peer Tutor. Tutoring sessions are offered per public health guidelines. Apply for a Peer Tutor online.
Fitness centres reopen Tuesday, September 7, 2021.
- Kingston students can access the SHAC on campus and the local YMCA on Wright Crescent at no cost.
- Brockville students must reserve their time in the fitness centre and can also access the local YMCA in Brockville.
- Cornwall students must reserve their time in the fitness centre.
Kingston SHAC Hours
- Monday-Thursday: 7:30am-9pm closed 2-3pm for fogging
- Friday: 7:30am-8pm closed 2-3pm for fogging
- Saturday & Sunday: 10am-5pm
Brockville & Cornwall Hours*
- Monday-Friday: 8am-4pm
- Closed Saturday & Sunday
- *subject to change due to staff availability
Gymnasiums are available for open gym time at each campus, subject to academic and varsity schedule.
Intramurals in Kingston are available. Learn more.
For more information, visit slcsurge.ca or contact the department:
- Kingston: Brandon Brown – email@example.com
- Brockville: Josh Lindup – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cornwall: Shannon Carson – email@example.com
All in-store operations will follow any/all COVID-19 protocols (i.e., social distancing, masks, hand sanitizing and limiting the number of patrons in store if applicable).
Bookstores will begin operating for in-person service on the following dates/times:
September 4-5 - Move-In Weekend
Note: anyone, including SLC employees, students, and their parents/guardians, wishing to visit the bookstore in-person on September 4-5 must download the SLC SAFE app to complete a health screening before accessing campus.
- Kingston Campus: September 4 and 5, 8:00am – 4:00pm
- Brockville Campus: September 5, 9:00am – 3:00pm
- Cornwall Campus: September 5, 9:00am – 3:00pm
Fall Operations, effective September 7 – Weekdays Only
Note: As of September 7, when the College's vaccination policy goes into effect, no visitors or members of the public can access campus until the College's proof of vaccination system is in place. Students and employees are welcome to visit the bookstore in-person on or after September 7 must be fully vaccinated and meet the requirements for accessing campus
- Kingston Campus: 8:00am – 5:00pm
- Brockville Campus: 8:30am – 4:00pm
- Cornwall Campus: 9:00am – 4:00pm
Digital - Remote Services
The Follett Stores will continue to offer online ordering and delivery services via the Bookstore website for students and faculty who will not be returning to campus.
Campus food services have been reopened with a focus on the health and safety of customers, students, and food services staff. Each food service staff member will participate in a COVID Safety and Training program provided by Brown's and there will be enhanced cleaning and sanitation procedures in place. The food services team will follow all public health regulations and requirements in place at any given time, including daily health screening if required.
- Tim Horton's now open as of August 16, 2021
- Remaining stations open as of August 30, 2021
- View hours of operation
- Food Services/Cafeteria open as of August 30, 2021
- View hours of operation
- Food Services/Cafeteria open as of August 30, 2021
- View hours of operation
Indigenous Counselling services are available across all three campuses, supporting Indigenous students’ unique needs by assisting with college life transitions and by bringing awareness and experiential knowledge of cross-cultural needs and advocating for the needs of Indigenous learners to support their success.
The Indigenous Counsellor will also support and deliver cultural programming and support to faculty, including cultural protocols, spaces and practices, to ensure understanding for student academic success.
Indigenous Counsellor, Tricampus
Indigenous Student Advisor, Kingston
Indigenous Student Advisor, Brockville and Cornwall
Laura Caldwell, RISIA
Francine Desnoyers, RISIA
Important Information Regarding Guard.me Insurance and COVID-19
It is very important for you to know that if your policy is valid, you are covered for all new and emergent conditions and medically necessary treatment, including COVID-19. You can check the dates of your coverage on your guard.me ID Card.
Coverage for COVID-19 does not include costs associated with self-isolation or a mandated quarantine. Private accommodation and day-to-day expenses (food and non-emergency transportation) are not eligible for reimbursement. Only new and emergent conditions and medically necessary treatments are eligible. This includes private-duty care by a qualified nurse if it is medically necessary and prescribed by a certified health professional.
If your policy is going to expire, and you will not be continuing full-time studies (and therefore automatically extending your policy), you can purchase insurance directly through guard.me’s website. You will be required to provide proof of insurance in the last 60 days.
If you arrived early and are waiting for classes to start, you may be eligible to purchase early arrival insurance via the main guard.me website by providing your acceptance letter.
If you suspect you are ill with COVID-19 or have been exposed to COVID-19 follow the appropriate Exposure to COVID-19 Process.
Your immigration status in Canada will not be affected by getting tested for or having COVID-19 so please follow the advice from our Campus Health Centre or the Government of Ontario regarding testing.
If you have questions about your guard.me insurance, you can contact guard.me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.877.873.8447, OR contact your SLC International Student Advisor.
Access to Campus Health Care services is by appointment only. In-person appointments are available at Kingston Campus following telephone medical screening. In-person appointments are based on medical need, following screening. All other appointments will be booked as telemedicine appointments. Appointments are available Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Telemedicine appointments are available to all students tri-campus. Students at Cornwall, Brockville, and Kingston campuses can access campus health care services via telemedicine if medically indicated following telephone consultation. To book a telemedicine appointment, please call 613.544.5400 ext. 5521.
Please do not visit the Campus Health Centre unless you have an appointment date and time. You will not be able to access the campus without an appointment.
Kingston Campus Health Centre - By Appointment Only
Open Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
100 Portsmouth Avenue Kingston, ON
613.544.5400 ext. 5521
Library Services During COVID-19 (all campuses)
For the most up-to-date information about the SLC Libraries, visit the Library website.
Library Spaces and Group Study Rooms
All Library study spaces, computers, printing/scanning, and group study rooms are open to SLC students only starting September 8, 2021. The Library remains closed to community visitors until further notice. Visit the Library website for complete details and operating hours.
Online Chat and Texting
The Library team is available virtually to assist you through online chat or texting service.
Online chat: No login is required for the online chat and this service allows for link-sharing.
Text: 613.707.3542 or 613.707.3LIB. The texting service is best for quick questions.
E-appointments using Teams
Students may book an appointment with a Library Technician for help with research-based assignments using Teams which allows for video, chat, and screen-sharing.
The Library provides 24/7 online access to all SLC students and employees. Log in with your SLC credentials through slc.me Student Portal. Access more than one million items including:
- eBooks and Audio Books
- Digital Magazines and 10,000+ online International newspapers
- Online streaming video including new movie releases
- Online peer-reviewed research articles, journals, and databases
- Borrowing Services
The Library’s physical collections are available for browsing and borrowing. This service is open to SLC students, faculty, and employees only.
- Student Code of Conduct: Complaints made under the Student Code of Conduct can be directed to the SRRO by email.
- Academic Appeals: Find information about the Academic appeal process.
- Sexual Violence Prevention: The SRRO is available for students who wish to report sexual violence, or are seeking support and resources.
To get in touch with the SRRO, please email SRRO@sl.on.ca.
Students can access learning resources and book a remote appointment with your Student Success Facilitator.
Student Success Facilitators (SSFs) provide support and resources to help you achieve your academic and personal goals. Get help with:
- Adjusting to college life
- Finding college resources and services and referrals
- Obtaining a peer tutor or becoming a peer tutor
- Developing your academic skills such as learning and study strategies
- Academic advising
- Resources for finances
- Dealing with more complex course material
Telemedicine appointments are available to all students tri-campus. Students at Kingston, Brockville, and Cornwall campuses can access campus health care services via telemedicine if medically indicated following telephone consultation. To book a telemedicine appointment, please call 613.544.5400 ext. 5521.
We’re still here to support your academic accommodations, whether on-campus or through alternate program delivery. If you have specific accommodation needs, particularly related to the new COVID-19 context, please email email@example.com.
- Email: Many staff and faculty are working remotely. In most cases, email is the best way to connect with the College.
- Text: Chat with an SLC representative by texting 613.801.8580
- Live Chat: Chats will be monitored Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. The live chat will open in another tab.