St. Lawrence College is committed to cultivating an institutional culture that values, supports, and promotes belonging, equity, human rights, respect, and accountability among faculty, staff, and students. The College has identified “Belonging” as its fifth core value and mandate as an educational institution.
EDI and Belonging Task Force and working groups
Through a consultative and collaborative process, members of the EDI Taskforce will utilize an intersectional equity lens to establish and implement a College framework and recommendations for equity, diversity, and inclusion to address the needs of the tri-campus SLC community, internal and external.
The SLC EDI and Belonging Task Force has developed the College’s first Equity Census for February 2021. The Equity Census is a voluntary survey that invites all SLC members to share information about themselves especially related to equity and belonging.
The EDI Task Force is organizing a series of “courageous conversations” tours to increase the College’s understanding of the experiences and perceptions of students, faculty, and staff (especially those from designated equity groups) regarding matters related to equity and feelings of belonging.
- Visit: Equity Learning Institute at equityliteracy.org
- Watch: How to recognize your white privilege - and use it to fight inequality TEDxTimberlaneSchools Talk by scholar and activist Peggy McIntosh
- Read: White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh
- Read: Inclusive Excellence (IE) at the University of British Columbia; IE is a systems-wide approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Read: Equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) resource guide by Simon Fraser University
Share your experiences and feedback
Do you have feedback, questions, or an experience to share? We want to hear from you. Email the EDI and Belonging Task Force at Belonging@sl.on.ca.