Goals of General Education courses
General Education (GenEd) courses allow students to:
- Gain awareness of the diversity, complexity, and richness of culture and the society in which they live and work in
- Contribute thoughtfully, creatively, and positively to their communities
- Strengthen Essential Employability Skills such as critical analysis, problem-solving, and communication
GenEd courses explore five themes:
- Arts in society
- Civic life
- Social and cultural understanding
- Personal understanding
- Science and technology
General Education courses expose students to disciplines outside their main field of study and are required in all college programs. Every SLC program includes one online general education course, so students can explore online learning in a supportive environment and develop their digital fluency skills.
Registration details for gened courses
Students should review the following information to learn about the registration process for GenEd courses.
Students scheduled to take their General Education course will be able to select their course using the self-enroll function in PeopleSoft. This process will also outline specific details such as course exclusions and course availability. The registration process is based on a first-come-first-serve basis, so we encourage students to review the following information to familiarize themselves with the process.
- Registration Instructions – This video (Video coming soon) summarizes the self-enrollment process that students will need to follow in order to complete their registration. Students will be required to log into to the SLC account to view this video recording.
- Registration Instructions (Handout) - This handout (Coming Soon) outlines the same step-by-step process using a series of screenshots to help students complete this process.
If you encounter any difficulties registering for a course, please contact registration services for support.
Important Dates Fall 2021
- Self-Registration will begin: August 12, 2021
- Self-Registration will end: August 20, 2021*
- Online GenEd course begins: September 8, 2021
- Online GenEd course ends: December 17, 2021
*If students do not make a selection, one will be made for them.