Goals of General Education courses
General Education (GenEd) courses allow students to:
- Gain awareness of the diversity, complexity, and richness of culture and the society in which they live and work in
- Contribute thoughtfully, creatively, and positively to their communities
- Strengthen Essential Employability Skills such as critical analysis, problem-solving, and communication
GenEd courses explore five themes:
- Arts in society
- Civic life
- Social and cultural understanding
- Personal understanding
- Science and technology
General Education courses expose students to disciplines outside their main field of study and are required in all college programs. Every SLC program includes one online general education course, so students can explore online learning in a supportive environment and develop their digital fluency skills.
Registration details for gened courses
Prior to semester start you will receive an email with a link where you can select your General Education courses. To make this selection our Registration Service Officer (RSO) will reach out via your SLC email for you to complete a survey and pick from a list of courses. We will also add an EGEN course code on your timetable as a placeholder to identify this course requirement. To have the EGEN course code removed, you will need to complete the survey.
Note: it is important to complete your Survey – it allows you to
- Rank your Elective/GenEd course choices.
- OR indicate you have started the transfer credit process with our Pathways department.
- OR confirm you have already met your elective/general education requirement(s).
When searching your email, please look for an email that was recently sent and is titled “Action Required: Spring GenEd/Elective Selections”.
Be aware of your program requirements and that you are on track to graduate. Please ensure you are checking your advisement. Instructions on running your advisement can be found HERE. Please reach out to your Registration Services Officer at email@example.com if you have any questions.
For information on our Internal/External Transfer Credit process please refer to SLC WEBSITE. With any questions surrounding Internal/External Transfer Credits please contact our Pathways Coordinator, Jenny Lauten at firstname.lastname@example.org