Goals of General Education courses
General Education (GenEd) courses allow students to:
- Gain awareness of the diversity, complexity, and richness of culture and the society in which they live and work in
- Contribute thoughtfully, creatively, and positively to their communities
- Strengthen Essential Employability Skills such as critical analysis, problem-solving, and communication
GenEd courses explore five themes:
- Arts in society
- Civic life
- Social and cultural understanding
- Personal understanding
- Science and technology
General Education courses expose students to disciplines outside their main field of study and are required in all college programs. Every SLC program includes one online general education course, so students can explore online learning in a supportive environment and develop their digital fluency skills.
Registration details for gened courses
Prior to semester start you will receive an email with a link where you can select your general education courses. Please ensure that you watch your SLC email inbox closely.
If you encounter any difficulties registering for a course, please contact registration services for support.
Important Dates Fall 2021
- Self-Registration will begin: August 12, 2021
- Self-Registration will end: August 20, 2021*
- Online GenEd course begins: September 8, 2021
- Online GenEd course ends: December 17, 2021
*If students do not make a selection, one will be made for them.