Requesting a Peer Tutor
If you are having difficulty in one or more of your courses, the Peer Tutoring Program may be of benefit to you. Peer Tutors provide practice and review of course material to help students enhance their understanding of the course content.
Peer Tutoring is available for most courses in most programs but is subject to Peer Tutor availability.
If you would like to request a peer tutor please fill in the Peer Tutor Request Form
Applying to become a peer tutor
Students who are strong academically in their courses may be interested in becoming a Peer Tutor. Peer Tutors should possess excellent communication skills and a friendly, helpful attitude. The rewards of becoming a Peer Tutor include extra income, excellent experience, reinforcement of your own knowledge and the satisfaction of helping others.
If you are interested in becoming a peer tutor, please contact PeerTutorProgram@sl.on.ca
HOW can faculty help?
- Encourage students to seek help early and often!
- Add the link to Peer Tutoring to BlackBoard.
- Take a few minutes of class time to demonstrate the sign-up process.
- Remind students to attend tutorials they are scheduled for and to respond to their tutor’s email requests
- Faculty may refer strong students to the service to become Peer Tutors.
- Students identified as academically at-risk should be referred to the Student Success Facilitator (SSF) – using a Beacon Academic At-Risk Alert via the staff portal.
- If many students in your class are struggling with the same topic or issue, consult with service departments to arrange an in-class visit or request workshop development.
- Connect with faculty coaches for advice and guidance.
For further information or support, contact the Peer Tutoring office at PeerTutorProgram@sl.on.ca or by phone, 613-544-5400 extension 1632
For more information on other Academic Supports please visit the Academic Support Centre page.