Skip to content Skip to footer site map

St. Lawrence College is a smoke-free environment.

St. Lawrence College (SLC) is pleased to announce that its campuses in Kingston, Brockville, and Cornwall Ontario are 100 percent smoke-free, effective October 15, 2018.

As a smoke-free college, the use of tobacco and cannabis products, including vaping and E-cigarettes is prohibited at all campus locations. This includes all indoor and outdoor areas, and in vehicles on campus. The smoke-free initiative includes any person on campus, whether they are students, staff, faculty, subcontractors and/or their employees, and visitors. All events hosted on SLC campuses will also be smoke-free.

Anyone who wishes to smoke must do so off campus property. The move to becoming smoke-free demonstrates SLC’s commitment to providing a healthy environment for our students, faculty, staff, and visitors.

Smoke-Free Policy

Click here to download the St. Lawrence College smoke-free policy (pdf)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Why has St. Lawrence College gone smoke-free?
A. The decision to go smoke-free on all campuses reflects our commitment to a ensuring a healthy environment for our students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.

Q. Why did this happen so quickly?
A. It was decided some time ago that this was important, and the risks and negative health impacts of secondhand smoke are well known. The added complexity of the upcoming legalization of recreational cannabis was also a factor, and we wanted to communicate this in advance of harsher weather coming, to help people who choose to smoke, to adjust.

Q. Where can I go to smoke?
A. As all St. Lawrence College property is now smoke-free including cars on campus and parked in lots, people wishing to smoke must leave campus. Once off SLC property, people are free to smoke while observing any City by-laws which are in place. 

Q. What do I do if I see someone smoking on campus?
A: If you feel comfortable doing so, you could inform/remind the person the SLC campus is smoke-free. Individuals are under no obligation to speak to someone who is smoking. If you witness a confrontation that requires an intervention, please contact campus security by calling 613-544-5400 ext. 5555.

Q. Can I smoke in my car if it's on college property?
A. No. Smoking is not permitted inside or outside of vehicles while on college property.

Q. How will this policy be enforced?
A. It will be the mandate of campus security to reinforce the fact SLC campuses are now smoke-free. People not respecting the smoke-free policy will face disciplinary action aligned to the Student Code of Conduct or Employee Discipline Policy as outlined for general behaviour expectations.

Q. To whom does this policy apply?
A. Everyone on St. Lawrence College property.

Q. What if I have been prescribed medical cannabis by my health care provider?
A. Students who require medical accommodation should contact Counselling and AccessAbility Services to explore the appropriate accommodation of their medical needs. Email or call CAAS on the campus you attend:

Kingston: 613-544-5400 ext. 1593
Brockville: 613-345-0660 ext. 3154 or 3111
Cornwall: 613-933-6080 ext. 2709

Employees who require medical accommodation should contact John Pierce, Manager of Pension and Benefits to explore the appropriate accommodation of their medical needs.

Q. Does the policy include Indigenous traditional and sacred medicines?
A. The traditional burning of substances that form a part of Indigenous culture and heritage are exempt from the SLC smoke-free policy.

Q. What if I have questions about this policy?
A. Students, staff, or faculty with questions about this policy can email Questions will be responded to in the order that they are received. 

Q. I want to quit smoking. What should I do?
A. There are several resources available. See below for more information.


Interested in quitting smoking? Several resources are available to you.

  • Don’t Quit Quitting – online tools to assist with quitting smoking
  • Smokers’ Helpline (1-877-513-5333, text iQuit to 123456) – interpreter services available (over 100 languages) – tools to help quit
  • Services through local public health units (information online and programs I.e, STOP on the Road):


  • The STOP Program – offered through local public health units as “STOP on the Road” (dates/times on local public health unit sites and main STOP Program website)

Contact Us

Email any questions to: