Co-op Work Permit

What is a Co-op, Placement, or Internship? 

In Canada, some programs may include mandatory work experience as part of their curriculum and program requirements. The purpose of this is to give students practical on-the-job experiences that prepare you for the job market after you complete your program. These are referred to as a Co-Op’s, Internships, and Placements.  

Generally, you will need to complete a certain number of hours to meet your placement requirements. If a placement is required in your program, it is best to talk to the Program Coordinator, or Placement Coordinator to find out more. 

What is a Co-Op Work Permit? 

Co-Op Work Permit is a type of work permit that is required for international students who have a co-op, placement, or internship as a mandatory requirement of their program. 

A Co-Op Work Permit is required when your co-op, placement, or internship will exceed beyond the 20 hours of work students are permitted to do during their studies. Co-op Work Permits may not be required for all placements depending on the number of hours. If you are unsure, check with the international office. 

You may apply for a co-op or intern work permit if: 

  • you have a valid study permit 
  • working is required to complete your study program in Canada 
  • you have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree 
  • your co-op or internship is 50% or less of the total program of study 


You may have received a Co-op Work Permit when you entered Canada. Please check if you did before submitting an application. 

How do I get a Co-Op Work Permit? 

In most cases, a Co-Op Work Permit will be required before you begin your placement. We recommend applying for a Co-Op Work Permit at least 3-4 months before you begin your placement. Attend an Immigration Workshops with our International Student Advisors to learn more. 

Receive Your Co-Op Work Permit Upon Entry To Canada 

In your Letter of Acceptance package, you will receive a letter regarding your co-op work permit information. We recommend you show this letter to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer when you are first entering Canada. The CBSA officer can issue your Co-op Work Permit at the same time as your Study Permit. 

Apply Online 

For more support and information on how to apply for a Co-op Work Permit, visit the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada website. 

Attend an Immigration Workshop with our International Student Advisors to learn more.