If you enjoy working with your hands and making people look and feel better, then a career as an Esthetician and Medical Esthetician is the perfect career for you.
Choosing the Esthetician program at SLC means you’ll be trained with the best – not just in Ontario, but also in Canada.
At St. Lawrence College you can earn your Ontario College Diploma in the Esthetician program in a condensed 38 weeks! We’re one of the only colleges in Canada to offer this condensed program format.
Our in-house training salon, Dynamic Designs, provides opportunities to practice new skills their practical skills with clients from the community. In addition to practical skills training and experience, the program includes extensive coverage of business and interpersonal skills. This includes codes of conduct, business management, customer service, sales training, and professionalism.
Keeping with the current trends of the industry we offer you the latest treatments and techniques in both basic and advanced and medical Esthetics.
The beauty industry continues to grow each year, expanding opportunities for a career in the esthetics profession. From setting up a home-based business, working in a medical spa to traveling the seas in cruise ship spas, esthetics students and graduates are presented with more options than ever before.
Our program follows the Esthetician Standards set by the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
Our program teaches in-depth theoretical and practical knowledge of general, advanced, and medical esthetics:
- Basic and advanced skin care
- Hair removal
- Body massage and treatments
- Make-up artistry
- Nail care
- Advanced nail techniques
- Chemical peels
- Lash/brow tinting and lifting
- Lash extensions
- Sales and customer service
- Human anatomy
- Professional and health regulated standards
- Pathology and histology
- Skin care formulation and chemistry
It also teaches theoretical and practical technology skills used in medical esthetics:
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
- Body contouring
- Photo facials
Competition Success Record
- 2019 National Skills Competition: GOLD MEDAL WINNER - Katie Salamone
- 2019 Provincial Skills Competition: GOLD MEDAL WINNER - Katie Salamone
- 2018 National Skills Competition: SILVER MEDAL WINNER - Alexandra Fox
- 2018 Provincial Skills Competition: GOLD MEDAL WINNER - Alexandra Fox; SILVER MEDAL WINNER - Nicole Wright
- 2017 National Skills Competition: GOLD MEDAL WINNER - Stephanie-Rachel Kuepfer
- 2017 Provincial Skills Competition: GOLD MEDAL WNNER - Stephanie-Rachel Kuepfer; SILVER MEDAL WINNER - Shannon Marginson
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent including the following prerequisites:
- Grade 12 English at the C or U level
- Grade 11 Math
For OSSD equivalency options, see Admission Requirements.
If you are missing prerequisite courses, enroll in the Career/College Prep program, free for Ontario residents who are 19 years or older.
Our Kingston campus has seen significant renovation over the past few years, including a brand new Student Life and Innovation Centre that houses a new gymnasium, fitness centre, pub, and more.
Employment options are endless as our graduates choose to work and find success in any of the following areas:
- Skin Care Specialist
- Film or Fashion Makeup Artist
- Esthetics or Medical Esthetics Instructor
- Makeup Artist
- Marketing and retail in cosmetic firms
- Nail Technologist
- Esthetic business owner
- Self-employment or on a consultation basis
- Beauty writer
- IPL/Laser Technician
- Working in a day or destination spa
- Working in medical spa clinics
- Working alongside Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons
- Salon/Spa Manager
- Spa or Medical-Spa Consultant
- Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of beauty products or medical-spa and spa equipment
- Health clubs
You will have two one-week placements of 35 hours each which gives our students the opportunity to acquire both hands-on experience in a spa setting and possible future employment. Many of our students gain part-time employment in the Esthetics field as soon as they have completed their first placement experience.
The students are encouraged to do their placements in an environment and location where they ultimately would be interested in working. A lot of our students have taken their placement in different cities in Canada and overseas.
Books, supplies, and implements are estimated to cost $1,700. Transportation for training at the International Dermal Institute is estimated to be $50.
613.544.5400 ext. 1572
Contact a member of our recruitment team
1.800.463.0752 and ask for Recruiting
International Students Contact
+1 613.544.5400 ext. 5514