Post-Graduation Work Permit

A post-graduation work permit allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. The Work obtained through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program may help support your application to become a permanent resident of Canada.

Applicants can receive only 1 post-graduation work permit in their lifetime: 

  • To obtain a post-graduation work permit, the applicant must currently hold valid temporary status or have left Canada. They must have graduated from an eligible designated learning institution (DLI). They must also submit clear evidence that they meet all of the following criteria.
  • They have completed an academic, vocational or professional training program at an eligible institution in Canada that is at least 8 months in duration leading to a degree, diploma or certificate.
  • They have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program or programs of study they have completed and submitted as part of their post-graduation work permit application. Exceptions can be made only for the following:
  1. Leave from studies
  2. Final academic session

They have received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that they have met the requirements to complete their program of study.

Note: The transcript and official letter must be included in a post-graduation work permit application.

Students must maintain their full-time student status during each academic session of the program or programs of study they complete and submit as part of their post-graduation work permit application. However, if a student meets all the eligibility requirements, with the exception of full-time status during their final academic session (that is, they have part-time status only in their final academic session), they are still considered eligible for the PGWPP.

You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:

  • had a valid study permit
  • had completed your program of study
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions

Yes, but only if you:

  • were a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI) in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program
  • already completed your program of study, and
  • didn't exceed the number of hours you could work on and off-campus

If IRCC refuses your post-graduation work permit, you must stop working immediately

The length of the work permit should combine the length of each program. If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for DVS and AVS programs in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years.

The International Centre provides monthly workshops on Study Permit Extensions, Work Permits, and Temporary Resident Visas. To find up to date schedules, check your i-Cent App, or visit the International Centre.

For more information about the Post-Graduate Work Permit, check out this link