Does any of the following describe you?
- you’ve been laid off
- under-employed and looking for a fresh start
- always wanted to go back to school and perhaps retraining is the answer
If so, St. Lawrence College can support you through the process of applying to an exciting new program of your choice.
We can help you
Better Jobs has replaced the Second Career program. Better Jobs is an Employment Ontario program that supports laid-off, unemployed individuals who require skills training to assist them to find employment in occupations with demonstrated labour market prospects in Ontario.
Better Jobs can provide up to $28,000 to help an applicant with the costs of tuition, books, basic living expenses, transportation, and other costs associated with training for a new career. Additional support from Better Jobs may be available to accommodate the needs of people with disabilities, dependent care, costs of living away from home, and academic upgrading.
How to Apply
- Find an employment services agency in your community and make an appointment. Staff at the agency will help you gather the information needed to support your application to Second Career.
- Staff at your local employment services agency can offer advice on career possibilities and what St. Lawrence College programs would be available to you through the Second Career program.
- Explore St. Lawrence College's full-time programs.
- Take a virtual tour. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact the high school you attended to obtain an official secondary school transcript. If your school is now closed, contact the local Board of Education office.
- Go to the Ontario Colleges website to apply to a full-time program online.
- Complete the application and pay the application fee.
- Mail Ontario Colleges your official high school transcript(s).
- After reviewing your application you will be sent a letter of acceptance if you meet the requirements for entry into your program.
- Once you have been accepted to your program, please contact the Recruitment team on your campus for your detailed Second Career acceptance letter. This letter will describe the terms of your acceptance, the length of the program, start and end dates as well as scheduled breaks, tuition and compulsory fees, books and any other fees related to your program.
- When you have been approved for Second Career funding, you will sign your contract with a Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) rep. A copy of this signed contract or a fee of $250.00 will secure your seat in your program.
Contact a Student Recruitment Officer at email@example.com or 1.800.463.0752 or contact St. Lawrence College Employment Service at ESK@sl.on.ca.