- Job ID: ACAD-INV-PT-22/23-074
- Location: Tri-Campus
- Deadline: August 18, 2022
- Job Type: Faculty
- Start Date: Immediately
- Department: School of Health and Wellness
- Number of Positions: 3
- Duration: Part-Time
St. Lawrence College invites applications from qualified individuals to facilitate the critical care nursing simulation labs offered on all three SLC campuses.
St. Lawrence College seeks to attract professionals who wish to share their field knowledge with students and teach on a part-time basis. Our success relies on the contributions of knowledge and experience sharing, which is where you come in as an experienced career professional.
Do you love to share your knowledge, mentor others, teach a skill set, help others develop and grow? A part-time teaching career may be a fulfilling role for you.
We seek experienced and motivated professionals who share St. Lawrence College’s vision to be a globally recognized college, delivering innovative learning opportunities and preparing career-ready graduates to be leaders in their field.
Candidates will be hired on a part-time contract to facilitate scheduled labs but can also be added to a selection pool for future offerings.
This current call of interest includes courses starting in September 2022 but will also be used to collect interested candidates for future offerings.
The responsibilities of St. Lawrence College Critical Care Nursing Simulation Lab Facilitators include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a positive learning environment that accommodate students’ diverse culture and educational backgrounds, experience and individual learning preferences;
- Effectively use educational and advanced technologies, and digital learning methodologies to enhance the student learning experience;
- Developing curriculum that is appropriately designed and uses evidence-based tools and strategies to support and assess student learning;
- Utilize principles of adult education to actively engage students in the learning process;
- Ensuring that course and program curriculum is current and relevant with a lens on the future;
- Working effectively with learners, colleagues, program and interdisciplinary teams as well as internal and external stakeholders;
- Effectively use the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning to build a contemporary and evidenced based practice.
In accordance with INACSL and CASN standards, the Critical Care Lab Simulation Instructor uses computerized manikins, specialized software, audio/video equipment and other health care equipment; to design and implement critical care simulation scenarios. The instructor is responsible for evaluating student performance in a high-fidelity simulation environment and providing appropriate feedback for students in the Critical Care Post Graduate certificate program. There may also be opportunity to work with other programs in the School of Health and Wellness.
The ideal candidates will meet or exceed the following qualifications:
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATION / DESIGNATION:
- Education Specific to the position: A minimum of a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing is required. Current registration and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required. Current certification in both CPR and First Aid.
- Experience specific to the position: A minimum of 3 years of current experience working as a Registered Nurse in a level 3 ICU, in good standing.
- Knowledge or Skills specific to the position: Current and relevant nursing knowledge and skills.
- Teaching experience using a Learning Management System and virtual meeting technology system.
- Teaching experience at the post-secondary level or experience in adult instructions techniques and practice using principles of andragogy and curriculum design experience will be required.
- A demonstrated practice supporting a diversity of learners.
- Experience participating in industry-led or community-based applied research will be an asset.
- A proven track record of life-long learning.
- A demonstrated commitment to putting “students’ first”.
- Candidates are requested to list all St. Lawrence College teacher training or equivalent they possess on their resume.
- A global mindset, and intercultural knowledge and competence to teach in a global environment including international students is required.
- An understanding of the Ontario college system is preferred.
- Successful candidates are expected to model and promote our College values of: Students First, Teamwork, Innovation, Integrity and Belonging.
Candidates who do not meet the education specified but who possess a relevant and acceptable combination of education, training, and a depth of industry experience may be considered.
Physical/Work Environment Essential Requirements:
Successful candidates are expected to have their own computer, reliable internet connection, and the ability to teach remotely or on Campus, as may be required. The use of virtual meetings through video conferencing software will be required in this role. Professors are also expected to possess or develop proficiency in the use of a Learning Management Software (LMS) to a degree that meets academic standards. The successful incumbent must have the ability to report to the work location. Positions available on Kingston, Brockville, and Cornwall campuses.
This position will be considered occasional on a part-time, as needed basis, for simulation labs to be scheduled on evenings or weekends. Availability for initial training during the day will be required and is flexible. Possibility of day shifts based on availability.
Use of cleaning materials, chemicals, and disinfectants daily to clean the labs and associated equipment and simulators/manikins. Handling of needles/syringes and other sharps for demonstrating of techniques and disposal on a regular, recurring basis, depending on the class schedule. Exposure to chemical and biological hazards. Adherence to health and safety precautions including precautions determined by health authorities related to COVID-19.
Salary & Terms
Salary and Terms: Hourly Salary Range will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Start Date: Immediately
- Posted Date: August 4, 2022
- Closing Date: August 18, 2022 (4:00 p.m.)
How to Prepare your Application for Submission: You will be able to attach only one document to your application. To prepare your application: Combine your cover letter and resume as one document. Save your document in .PDF, .doc, or .docx format using Last Name, First Name as your naming convention. Click on the Apply Here link and complete the application form. Attach your cover letter/resume document to the application form.
St. Lawrence College is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. We encourage and welcome applications from members of the designated groups, including women, racialized minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation and identity. St. Lawrence College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. SLC provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. To obtain a copy of this position vacancy or any of the position related documents in an alternate format please contact email@example.com and our Human Resources Consultants will address your requests for accommodation confidentially.