Story submitted by Liz Gorman, Director, Development and Alumni Relations
The impact of donations on our students’ lives is immeasurable. Every year Alumni and Development reports on the donations and support received in the College’s Annual Report and highlights the impacts the generosity of SLC employees, retirees, alumni, and friends, as well as community organizations and industry, have on SLC students through philanthropy.
Positive impacts in the 2021-2022 fiscal year from donations and other support:
- 783 students received a cumulative $856,760 in awards, bursaries, and emergency funds
- Specifically, 152 students were helped with emergency funds totaling $114,707. Emergency funds provide temporary relief to students in urgent situations, such as those facing emergency housing insecurity, food scarcity, or unexpected travel to a loved one’s funeral.
- 21 new bursaries and awards were created, including new major bursaries created for the Veterinary Technician and Music Theatre Performance programs from generous planned gifts from two estates.
- $1,414,847 total funds received, comprised of $1,054,952 in cash donations, $40,275 in gifts-in-kind donations, $126,701 in sponsorships, and $192,919 in external bursaries.
- 1,739 global alumni engaged with the College through participation, volunteerism, communications, or philanthropy.
- An increase in philanthropic support from SLC alumni with gifts directed to Indigenous Services, emergency funds, bursaries, and other campus priorities.
The Alumni and Development team’s fundraising outreach has recently focused on student support, as needs grew significantly throughout the pandemic. Applications for bursary financial assistance increased by more than 10% in 2021-2022 and there was a notable increase in emergency funds needs. Gifts to the SLC Student Emergency Fund provide temporary relief to students in urgent situations, including those affected by the recent conflict in Ukraine. A reminder to any interested faculty and staff that an ongoing payroll donation is a simple way to provide support to students who need it through the Emergency Fund.
With the opening of applications for the fall round of SLC scholarships and bursaries earlier this month, Alumni and Development is working with the Financial Aid team to connect with students to share how the SLC awards program can help their ability to pay for college.
Questions, ideas, opportunities to work together? Please reach out anytime to the team through email@example.com
You may also be interested in:
- Applying for SLC Scholarships and Bursaries – the fall round is open until September 18
- SLC’s Annual Report 2021-2022
- Alumna Establishes Resiliency Bursary for SLC Students
- Islamic Books Donated to Cornwall Campus Library