Story submitted by Debbie Kiely, Manager, Continuing Education
Continuing Education at St. Lawrence College is now delivering micro-credentials: short, competency-based training opportunities that focus on in-demand workplace skills. Currently, Continuing Education is offering several micro-credentials in logistics, as well as cybersecurity and tourism and hospitality; more micro-credentials will be available later this month and in the fall.
Micro-credentials are for anyone wishing to upskill or reskill or are interested in exploring new and different career opportunities or pathways. Micro-credentials also allow organizations and employers to ensure employees continue to develop new capabilities and help to bridge the skills gap by ensuring skills in an existing workforce are current.
Highlights of micro-credentials:
- Developed in consultation with industry experts to ensure they reflect the skills employers are looking for
- Most micro-credentials are online, so students can learn at their own pace and time, from the comfort of home
- Learning is focused to help enhance skills in a short time-frame
- Flexible learning opportunities that are short, affordable, and recognizable
- Real-world learning experiences and assessments
- Can be taken individually or stacked to build larger certificates
- Multiple micro-credentials may serve as pathways to other SLC programs
- Each micro-credential earned comes with a digital badge that can be shared with employers and added to a digital profile or portfolio
Learn more and register on the Continuing Education website.