Story submitted by André Léger, Associate Dean, School of Contemporary Teaching & Learning (SCTL)
St. Lawrence College celebrated the first two cohorts of the Contemporary Educator Program (CEP) on June 8 with an onsite graduation ceremony.
The celebration reconnected faculty from the 2021 and 2022 cohorts as they received their official certificate. Although the College held a virtual graduation last year, this was a great opportunity to celebrate as one group as all 17 faculty began their journey in 2019.
"CEP was always my favourite part of the week. It was an opportunity to engage with fellow faculty members from diverse backgrounds who were not only intellectually stimulating but were a group of individuals with whom I very much so enjoyed their company," said Kieva Hanchuk, Professor, Behavioural Science & Behavioural Psychology (Kingston).
The CEP program is a professional learning program that is designed to support new faculty in their teaching practice during the first two years of full-time employment. The program requires faculty to engage in a variety of learning activities that are delivered synchronously in structured onsite and virtual sessions. At the end of the program, faculty would have completed four classroom observations, designed a Digital Teaching & Learning Portfolio, engaged in a Teaching & Learning Research Project, and demonstrated their leadership by completing a Leadership Development Activity.
"The CEP program provided a supportive environment to help hone our teaching skills and form meaningful relationships with other new faculty," said Christine Tong, Professor, Business Analytics (Kingston). "It was an enjoyable experience that greatly exceeded my expectations!"
The program was created by the School of Contemporary Teaching & Learning (SCTL) in 2019 as part of the college’s SLC in Five commitment to teaching excellence. In addition to the 17 faculty graduates, the SCTL is also supporting 13 other faculty who are currently completing year one of the program and are preparing to welcome a fourth cohort in August.
CEP Graduates 2022
- Kieva Hanchuk, Professor, Behavioural Science and Behavioural Psychology (Kingston)
- Sarah Rampersaad, Professor, Veterinary Technology and Biotechnology (Kingston)
- Ekta Singh, Professor, Health Care Administration (Kingston)
- Christine Tong, Professor, Business Analytics (Kingston)
CEP Graduates 2021
- Muhammad Owais Aziz, Professor, Health Sciences (Cornwall)
- Brad Barbeau, Professor, Computer Systems Technician (Kingston)
- Mark Bergin, Program Coordinator and Professor, Music & Digital Media (Kingston)
- Beverley A. Bowley, Program Coordinator and Professor, Hospitality (Kingston)
- Alynn Boyle, Professor, Accounting (Kingston)
- Robin Cox, Professor, General Arts & Science: English for Academic Purposes (Kingston)
- Valerie Fiset, Associate Dean, School of Nursing
- Jordan Ann Kevan de Haan, Program Coordinator and Professor, Environmental Technician (Cornwall)
- John P. McGrath, Professor, Mechanical Technician (Kingston)
- Victoria Obress, Professor, Health Information Management (Kingston)
- Rob Phippen, Professor, Accounting and Marketing (Kingston)
- Scott Thompson, Professor, Electrical Engineering Technician (Kingston)
- Karin Zekveld, Professor, BScN (Kingston)
To learn more about CEP, visit the SCTL Program page, connect with program contact André Léger, Associate Dean, SCTL, or browse #CEPSLC on social media channels.