Organizations of all sizes depend upon the successful completion of projects to survive and remain competitive. Successful Project management controls every aspect of the project from initial concept through design, actual task completion and implementation. Resource allocation, time and cost control are essential elements to be managed to prevent overruns.
This one-year Ontario College Graduate Certificate Program prepares graduates for this rewarding managerial career in the field of Project Management. Project Management is a highly sought discipline that involves the application of knowledge, skills and techniques to execute projects effectively and efficiently. Project managers are in high demand across all industries.
Students will develop a critical understanding of the ten knowledge areas according to "A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge" (PMBOK® Guide). Students will acquire the creative, practical, and advanced expertise that contributes to the effective management of the critical elements required to ensure overall project success. This course is interactive and takes a hands-on approach to learning.
Project Management Graduate Certificate Program Mission:
At St. Lawrence College, we are fully committed to our Project Management Graduate Certificate Program. Our program's core mission is to prepare the next generation of project managers and professionals for leadership roles in a rapidly changing business environment. In this endeavor, we remain firmly grounded in the foundational values of St. Lawrence College, emphasizing the importance of community and social responsibility. This commitment aligns seamlessly with the college's overarching mission, which centers on "student success, academic excellence, and leadership within our communities."
Our program's mission:
- Excellence in PMI Standards: We are dedicated to upholding the highest standards of project management as set forth by the Project Management Institute (PMI). Our curriculum is carefully designed to align with PMI's globally recognized best practices and standards, ensuring that our graduates are well-versed in the latest project management principles and techniques.
- Adaptation to Industry Trends: In an era of rapid technological advancement and shifting business paradigms, we prioritize staying at the forefront of emerging trends in project management. Our program emphasizes the integration of cutting-edge methodologies, tools, and technologies to help our students remain agile and competitive in an ever-changing project management landscape.
- Holistic Development: Beyond the technical aspects of project management, we believe in nurturing well-rounded professionals. Our program focuses on the development of critical thinking, leadership, communication, and ethical decision-making skills. We instill in our students the importance of fostering collaborative and diverse project teams, aligning with global best practices, and considering the social and environmental responsibilities of project management.
- Community and Social Responsibility: Our program emphasizes the vital role of community and social responsibility. We encourage our students to be active and engaged members of their communities, to understand the social impacts of their projects, and to consider environmental, social, and economic sustainability in their project management practices. Our graduates are instilled with a deep sense of social responsibility and a commitment to making a positive difference in the world.
Alignment with St. Lawrence College Core Values:
The Project Management Graduate Certificate Program incorporates the core values of St. Lawrence College:
- Integrity: We uphold the highest ethical standards in project management, ensuring that our graduates are known for their honesty, transparency, and ethical behavior in all professional endeavors.
- Belonging: We foster a sense of belonging and inclusivity within our program, creating a community where every student feels valued, appreciated, and supported on their journey to becoming a project management professional.
- Student First: Our students are at the heart of everything we do. We prioritize the individual needs, goals, and aspirations of each student, providing personalized support and guidance to help them succeed.
- Innovation: We promote a culture of innovation, encouraging students to think creatively and adapt to the ever-evolving project management landscape. Our program embraces innovative practices and cutting-edge technologies to ensure our graduates are forward-thinking and adaptable leaders.
This course introduces students to business intelligence tools and emerging technologies. The course focuses on problem based, real world applications. Learners solve novel challenges for businesses or non-for-profit organizations using current industry problem-solving frameworks within interdisciplinary teams.
This course provides an overview of the principles, concepts, and practices of project management and is compliant with the Project Management Body of Knowledge. It is designed for future project managers who want to develop foundational knowledge and skills in managing projects successfully. The course introduces various project management methodologies, artifacts, tools, and terminology. The course focuses on developing practical skills that can be applied immediately to increase the level of success on projects. Students will also explore the key competencies required for effective project management. The course will be delivered through a combination of lectures, case studies, group discussions, and individual assignments. Students will have the opportunity to apply their learning to real-world scenarios and develop practical skills that they can apply in their future roles as project managers. Upon completion of the course, students will have gained an understanding of project management fundamentals and best practices.
Applicants to the program must have a Ontario College Diploma, an Ontario College Advanced Diploma or a degree from a recognized college or university.
Applicants must submit transcripts verifying previous academic qualifications and experience from recognized institutions. All documentation must be submitted in English.
Applicants must be fluent enough in English to understand the instructors and technical language used during each course. An acceptable score on an English proficiency test is required to be considered for admission:
- TOEFL – A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test
- IELTS – Required score of 6.5 overall with minimum 6.0 in each section
- CAEL – Overall score of 60 is required for admission
Fees are estimates only. Tuition is based on two semesters.
Tuition fees are subject to change pending confirmation of provincial Ministry Funding rates for 2023-2024.
Alpha College of Business & Technology
Career opportunities in Project management are endless. Various career paths such as; computer and information systems, construction and design, real estate, finance and auditing, community development, not for profit and health, and research, among others, offer graduates a wide range of opportunities in project management roles.
Click here to message Recruitment.