December 6th is the annual observance of the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women. This day marks the anniversary of the murders of 14 women at l'École Polytechnique de Montréal in 1989, a horrific act of gender-based violence.
St. Lawrence College’s flags will be at half-mast today in remembrance of those who lost their lives at l'École Polytechnique de Montréal because of their sex. Today, we remember Geneviève Bergeron, Hélène Colgan, Nathalie Croteau, Barbara Daigneault, Anne-Marie Edward, Maud Haviernick, Maryse Laganière, Maryse Leclair, Anne-Marie Lemay, Sonia Pelletier, Michèle Richard, Annie St-Arneault, Annie Turcotte, and Barbara Klucznik-Widajewicz.
Here are a few ways you can honour the victims today:
- Wear a White Ribbon and learn about the White Ribbon Campaign. White Ribbons are available in Student Services on all three campuses for anyone who wishes to wear one today. Wearing a white ribbon is symbolic of remembrance, awareness, and commitment to ending gender-based violence.
- Observe a moment of silence at 11:00am.
- Commit to speak up against harmful behaviours, misogyny, and gender-based violence.
- Learn more about resources available at SLC, as well as locally, and nationally, and ways to educate yourself about gender-based violence.
- Today and throughout the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-based Violence (from November 25 to December 10), add your voice to the conversation on social media using the hashtag #16Days and share the ways you are being part of the solution to end gender-based violence.
In addition to mourning those whose lives have been lost, we must also acknowledge that gender-based violence continues to be a daily reality for many women, girls, 2SLGBTQIA+ and gender-diverse individuals.
Many thanks to Katie Sills, Manager, Student Rights and Responsibilities Office, Carmen Law, Director, Belonging, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion, and student employees for their work compiling information and resources related to National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women and for ensuring White Ribbons are available for SLC employees and staff today.
Glenn Vollebregt (He/Him)
President and CEO
St. Lawrence College