Submitted by Jadon Hook, Sustainability Coordinator
Recycling is a good way to reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills, but the best way to make a difference is to REDUCE and REUSE! You can do your part to reduce and reuse by joining the SLC community in the zero-waste movement through the Cano program.
This app-based program allows users to borrow and return reusable coffee cups and containers on campus. When returned, participants earn reward points redeemable for free drinks and food on campus. Best of all, we can make a big impact on how much waste is saved from landfills, and from ending up in our natural environments and waterways.
Here’s how to get started:
1. Download the free Cano app on your iphone or android
2. Scan the QR code on the Cano container at any SLC cafeteria or coffee kiosk
3. Scan the QR code at the cashier to complete the borrowing process
4. When finished, simply return your cup or container to any Cano return box. Scan the QR code and drop your item inside. SLC will wash, sanitize, and reuse the product saving it from landfill
How Do I Get Points?
When you return your Cano cup or container (to one of our bins within 48 hours of borrowing you will receive 10 points for every cup returned, and 20 points for a container. You will also receive 100 bonus points just for signing up -- enough to enjoy a free coffee!
How Can I Redeem My Points?
100 points = free medium coffee or tea
250 points = free side
500 points = 25% discount on any entrée
Cano Report: Two Semesters of Reducing and Reusing at SLC:
Since launching in March 2023, we have seen an inspiring uptake of participants in the Cano program dedicated to helping SLC reduce waste:
1. 490 users registered across three campuses.
2. 2002 containers saved from landfills.
3. 60.06 kg of waste avoided.
4. 280.28 metric tons of CO2 emissions (and greenhouse gases) avoided
5. 368 rewards earned by users! Join the Zero-Waste movement and download the Cano app today!