Two SLC faculty-led programs have been nominated for the Canadian Bureau for International Education’s (CBIE) Panorama Award. This award recognizes “innovation and excellence in design, planning, implementation and management of high-quality endeavours in international education, with programming that focuses on academic, extracurricular, capacity-building and/or learning abroad.”
Former SLC professor Laura Kittner taught Entrepreneurial Thinking in Ireland in fall 2022, and Jordan Kevan de Haan taught Sustainability in Costa Rica in winter 2023. Each semester-long course blended academic content and intercultural competence, cumulating in two weeks of immersive experiential learning with global post-secondary partners. Faculty enhanced their global perspectives and expanded international educator networks. Students built intercultural knowledge and skills while learning from international and SLC student peers.
“Eye-opening”, “life-changing”, “profound and lasting impact” and “highlight of my teaching career” are some of the ways students, faculty, and administrators used to describe the programs. This program speaks directly to SLC’s Global Learning Strategy, which strives to create global citizenship opportunities for faculty and students, strengthen international partnerships, and promote academic excellence.
The program team includes:
- Program Lead: Ining Chao, Associate Dean, Global Partnerships and Learning Services
- Program Coordinator: Ivy Zhang, Global Learning Coordinator
- Course Lead (Ireland): Craig Ervin, Program Coordinator, International Business Management
- Course lead (Ireland): Marion Carroll, Lecturer, Business and Communication, Technological University of the Shannon
- Course lead (Costa Rica): Jordan Kevan de Haan, Program Coordinator, Environmental Technician
- Course lead (Costa Rica) Alexis Wren, Program Director, Costa Rica Global Learning Programs
The awards will be announced at the CBIE annual conference in November.
Learn more about the CBIE and the award.