- Job ID: ACAD-INV-PT-22/23-022
- Location: Kingston
- Deadline: May 27, 2022
- Job Type: Faculty
- Start Date: Immediately
- Department: Continuing Education
- Number of Positions: 1
- Duration: Part-Time
St. Lawrence College is seeking an experienced and motivated professional who shares St. Lawrence College’s vision to be a globally recognized college, delivering innovative learning opportunities and preparing career-ready graduates to be leaders in their field.
St. Lawrence College is currently seeking a qualified Professor on a part-time basis with experience and expertise to teach Gas Technician 2 and 3 courses.
This course is a blend of theory and practical components that help students develop the theoretical and practical skills required to obtain the TSSA Gas Technician 3 and Gas Technician 2 certifications.
This position will be located at the Kingston campus. Course offerings may be cancelled prior to the start due to low enrollment, but candidates may be considered for future semester offerings. Candidates may also be able to teach from an online/alternate delivery format. Candidates must be available to teach on evenings and weekends.
The responsibilities of St. Lawrence College Professors include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a positive learning environment that accommodate students’ diverse culture and educational backgrounds, experience and individual learning preferences;
- Effectively use educational and advanced technologies, and digital learning methodologies to enhance the student learning experience;
- Developing curriculum that is appropriately designed and uses evidence-based tools and strategies to support and assess student learning;
- Utilize principles of adult education to actively engage students in the learning process;
- Ensuring that course and program curriculum is current and relevant with a lens on the future;
- Working effectively with learners, colleagues, program and interdisciplinary teams as well as internal and external stakeholders;
- Effectively use the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning to build a contemporary and evidenced based practice.
The ideal candidate will meet or exceed the following qualifications:
Education / Certification / Designation:
- Educations Specific to the position: A minimum of valid Gas Trade 1 license.
- Experience specific to the position: A minimum of 5 – 7 years of recent work experience as a licensed gas technician.
- Teaching experience using a Learning Management System and virtual meeting technology system.
- Teaching experience at the post-secondary level or experience in adult instructions techniques and practice using principles of andragogy and curriculum design experience will be required.
- A demonstrated practice supporting a diversity of learners.
- Experience participating in industry-led or community-based applied research will be an asset.
- A proven track record of life-long learning.
- A demonstrated commitment to putting “students first”.
- Candidates are requested to list all St. Lawrence College teacher training or equivalent they possess on their resume.
- A global mindset and intercultural knowledge and competence to teach in a global environment including international students is required.
- An understanding of the Ontario college system is preferred.
- Successful candidates are expected to model and promote our College values of: Students First, Teamwork, Innovation, Integrity and Belonging.
Candidates seeking faculty positions with the College will be required to demonstrate the ability to design, facilitate and assess learning in accordance with adult learning principles and universal design in learning (UDL). An ongoing commitment to professional learning will be expected.
Successful candidates are expected to have their own computer, reliable internet connection, and the ability to teach remotely or on Campus, as may be required. The use of virtual meetings through video conferencing software will be required in this role. Professors are also expected to possess or develop proficiency in the use of a Learning Management Software (LMS) to a degree that meets academic standards.
All Professors will be provided with support by the School of Contemporary Teaching and Learning in their onboarding and orientation to teach at St. Lawrence College. Support and coaching is provided to new faculty to provide a a strong theoretical foundation of teaching and learning, and to orient them to the teaching tools and strategies required for teaching in a contemporary and modern learning institution. St. Lawrence College promotes a culture of community in innovative teaching and learning and SLC’s vision of “students first” which provides experiential learning opportunities.
Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide a teaching demonstration. Information and details will be provided when interviews are scheduled.
Currently all individuals who are attending St. Lawrence College Campuses and other College facilities will be required to wear a face mask in accordance with St. Lawrence College’s Face Mask Policy. To access the policy, click here.
Salary & Terms
Salary and Terms: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Start Date: Immediately
- Posted Date: May 4, 2022
- Closing Date: May 27, 2022 (4:00 p.m.)
How to Prepare your Application for Submission: You will be able to attach only one document to your application. To prepare your application: Combine your cover letter and resume as one document. Save your document in .PDF, .doc, or .docx format using Last Name, First Name as your naming convention. Click on the Apply Here link and complete the application form. Attach your cover letter/resume document to the application form.
St. Lawrence College is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. We encourage and welcome applications from members of the designated groups, including women, racialized minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation and identity. St. Lawrence College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. SLC provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. To obtain a copy of this position vacancy or any of the position related documents in an alternate format please contact email@example.com and our Human Resources Consultants will address your requests for accommodation confidentially.