Skip to content Skip to footer site map

In this video, we will take students through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) online, in-Canada, study permit extension application process. Please note: Immigration consulting is a free service provided by the International Centre for SLC students. This video is a guide only using the Government of Canada website. Regulations, and application requirements and forms can change without notice. It is the viewer's responsibility as the applicant to monitor the expiry dates and understand their current documents, to answer the application questions accurately as they relate to their individual circumstances, and to submit a complete and correct application. Please visit the IRCC website for more information.




Guide: How to apply for a Study Permit extension in Canada online

Click here for a list of Frequently Asked Study Permit Questions from the IRCC website. 

Click here for information on how to apply for your Study Permit extension online. 

Please note: If your address changes at any time make sure that you visit the IRCC website and inform them of a chance of address. 


Frequently Asked Questions

Study Permits

To study in Canada longer than 6 months, a valid study permit is required. If you are applying for a study permit for the first time please click here. Please be sure to read all the instructions carefully.


How to Extend your Study Permit

Study Permits can be extended by sending an application electronically online to IRCC or by mailing an application with supporting documents to CIC Vegreville, Alberta.

Sending an electronic/online application for Study Permit extension

Click herefor information on how to apply for your Study Permit extension online.

Please Note: If your address changes at any time make sure that you visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website and inform them of a change of address at 


I need to extend my study permit. When should I apply?

You should apply to extend your permit at least 30 days before it expires. Make sure your passport doesn’t expire at the same time. You can’t extend your study permit beyond your passport’s expiry date. If you apply before your permit expires, you can stay in Canada under the same conditions as your current study permit until you get a decision. You should apply to extend your study permit if you plan to travel outside Canada and your permit will expire while you are travelling. If your study permit expires, and you haven't applied for an extension, you must leave Canada. 


Can I go back home while studying?

If you plan to leave Canada during a scheduled break (such as the summer, or winter holidays and spring break), you may need to show proof you are enrolled in your school when you return to Canada. If you came here on:

  • a visa, you also need to make sure it is still valid.
  • an electronic travel authorization (eTA), and you leave and return to Canada by air, you will need to make sure it is still valid.


As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?

Yes. However, a study permit isn’t a travel document. It doesn’t give you the right to travel to Canada. Along with your permit, you need either:

Having an eTA or a visa, along with your study permit, doesn’t guarantee that we will let you back into Canada. You must show the border services officer that you meet all the requirements before we will let you re-enter.


What is the cost to extend my study permit?



Work in Canada

Working while Studying 

Post-Graduate Work Permit 


If you require assistance, please contact the International Centre on your campus. 

International Student Advisors: 

Laura Caldwell - Kingston
International Student Advisor
613-544-5400, ext. 1883

Carolina Palmer - Kingston 
International Student Advisor
613-544-5400, ext. 1564


Jammie Bannon-Brockville
International Student Advisor
613-345-0660, ext.3373

Francine Desnoyer - Cornwall
International Student Advisor
613-933-6080, ext. 2330