- Job ID: SUPP-EXT-PT-21/22-147
- Location: Cornwall
- Deadline: January 25, 2022
- Job Type: Support
- Start Date: Immediately
- End Date: April 21, 2023
- Department: Athletics & Student Engagement
- Number of Positions: 1
Under the direction of the Manager of Athletics and Student Engagement, the incumbent has campus-specific responsibility for coordinating varsity, recreational, and student life programming, assisting in athletic facility operation, and providing guidance to student government. The key function of the coordinator role is associated with fostering holistic student development and facilitating positive school spirit.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Coordinating and supporting varsity and extramural programs, student-athletes, and coaches
- Providing recreational, student life, orientation, and wellness opportunities for students
- Coordinating the day-to-day activities of the athletic facilities
- Assisting the Manager in student engagement development and in providing guidance and advice in student government matters
Education and Experience:
Minimum of 2-year diploma in Sports Administration, Recreation & Leisure, Fitness and Health Promotion, Kinesiology, Physical Education, and/or relevant professional experience in sport deemed to be equivalent. Valid CPR / First Aid certification.
Minimum of two years’ experience coordinating and convening tournaments, leagues, camps, and other athletic events. Experience and knowledge in a variety of sports and their respective sport regulating bodies. Must have customer service experience and strong oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders. Must have experience working in a computerized environment - word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, email (Outlook), and social media platforms. Post-secondary work experience that includes involvement in the following activities varsity coordination, student engagement, and student government relations.
Other Required Qualifications:
- Valid Ontario ‘G’ driver’s license.
- Decision-making skills.
- Planning and coordinating skills.
- Knowledge of demands and details specified by OCAA/OCR/CCAA and provincial and national sports bodies.
- Monitor program budgets.
- Time Management.
- Delegation skills.
- Ability to participate in a group and work independently.
- Scheduling skills.
- Knowledge of sport, league, and association rules.
- Ability to train event staff.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to maintain an inventory.
- Event planning skills.
- Ability to allocate tasks to others and recommend a course of action or make necessary decisions to ensure the tasks are completed.
- Active participant and has ongoing involvement in the progress of others with whom they have responsibility to demonstrate correct processes/procedures or provide direction.
- Surveying skills.
Physical/Work Environment Essential Requirements:
St. Lawrence College has introduced a COVID-19 mandatory vaccination policy that requires full vaccination against COVID-19 for everyone working in, studying in, or visiting our work sites effective November 22, 2021. Accordingly, any offer of employment will be conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof of full vaccination. Any exemption request will be considered on a case-by-case basis and granted only where the request meets the requirements of applicable legislation. For more information on St. Lawrence College’s vaccination policy and updates on our COVID-19 prevention protocols and processes, please visit: https://www.stlawrencecollege.ca/about/covid-19
Conditions of Employment:
- A valid and recent Police Background Check obtained by the successful candidate will need to be provided as a condition of employment.
- The successful incumbent must have the ability to report to the work location.
- Incumbent may be required to lift light, medium, and heavy objects. Incumbent may be sitting, walking/running, lifting/carrying, and standing for a period of 1-2 hours at a time. The incumbent’s workspace is adjacent to the gymnasium, which is a hub of high daily activity, and makes for a very noisy environment for several hours per day. Regular travel to other campuses and colleges for meetings; Sometimes will travel with teams on road trips. Average travel time is 3-4 hours’ round trip. Outdoor sports activities in inclement weather may be required.
Salary & Terms
- Support Group: Pay Band H
- Hours per week: 35
- Start Rate: $32.64/hour, plus 6% in lieu of vacation.
- End Date: April 21, 2023
- Posted Date: January 12, 2022
- Closing Date: January 25, 2022 (4:00 p.m.)
How to Prepare your Application for Submission: You will be able to attach only one document to your application. To prepare your application: Combine your cover letter and resume as one document. Save your document in .PDF, .doc, or .docx format using Last Name, First Name as your naming convention. Click on the Apply Here link and complete the application form. Attach your cover letter/resume document to the application form.
THIS IS A TERM BARGAINING UNIT POSITION
This competition will be processed in accordance with College policy, the Academic and Support Staff Collective Agreements. In addition to comparing candidates’ qualifications and experience to the listed technical skills, education, work experience, and personal characteristics (values, attitudes, motivation, and performance), the seniority of Bargaining Unit members will be considered. If the search extends beyond the Bargaining Unit, consideration will be given to accumulated service with the College.
St. Lawrence College is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. We encourage and welcome applications from members of the designated groups, including women, racialized minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation and identity. St. Lawrence College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. SLC provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. To obtain a copy of this position vacancy or any of the position related documents in an alternate format please contact email@example.com and our Human Resources Consultants will address your requests for accommodation confidentially.