- Job ID: SUPP-EXT-PT-21/22-092
- Location: Kingston
- Deadline: July 28, 2021
- Job Type: Support
- Start Date: Immediately
- End Date: March 31, 2022
- Department: Libraries and Student Success
- Number of Positions: 1
We are seeking a detail-oriented and responsible team player to occupy the position of Library Technician for our St. Lawrence College, Kingston Campus. Library Technicians are responsible for library services, collections, and learning spaces to support academic excellence and student engagement at St. Lawrence College. Provides frontline Library services to faculty, students, staff, and community members including but not limited to circulation, reference, interlibrary loan, and instruction in the use of the Library collections and equipment. Responsible for one or more of the following: acquisitions, cataloguing, processing, collection maintenance, e-Resources administration, resource sharing, serials administration, and web development; data collection and reporting using library and college systems (SIRSI, Ex Libris and PeopleSoft); participation in the delivery of library orientation, tours, and workshops. Provides customer service and policy enforcement. Participates in library projects, programs, policy development, and committee work. This position is the Copyright Education and web development lead for the libraries Tri-campus.
Education and Experience:
Minimum of a 2-year Community College diploma in a relevant field of study such as Library Technician.
Minimum of a 2 years of experience in an academic library, providing direct customer service and using research and reference tools and sources. Experience with a computerized library system (SIRSI) an asset. Our ideal candidate will possess in-depth knowledge of standard library processes and procedures, wide general knowledge and an awareness of current affairs, excellent communication, and presentation skills (written/oral).
Other Required Qualifications:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Copyright legislation and experience assisting faculty and students in a postsecondary environment.
- Demonstrated technical skill and experience in leading web development, digital initiatives, and library systems administration (SIRSI, Ex Libris, EBSCO Discovery, LibGuides preferred).
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Advanced computer literacy (word processing, spreadsheet, database, email and internet applications) including familiarity with financial/student information system (PeopleSoft preferred).
- Proficiency in library research, information analysis and evaluation, including knowledge of local/remote reference tools and sources; resources available locally and at other Colleges.
- Advanced database searching techniques including Boolean logic, keyword searching, truncation, etc.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Detail-oriented and accurate.
- Collaborative and active team player.
- Strong human relations/interpersonal and listening skills are a requirement of this position with a solid understanding of the customer service ethic and ability to be tactful and diplomatic.
Physical/Work Environment Essential Requirements:
Light lifting (up to 5 kg/11 lbs.) and carrying supplies required. Ability to bend, crouch, push and pull required when troubleshooting library equipment. Some occasional lifting of boxed books (up to 20 kg/44 lbs.) and pushing/pulling of book trucks (over 20 kg/44 lbs.).
The successful incumbent must have the ability to report to the work location or work temporarily from a remote location with reliable internet access, as approved by the College and in accordance with the college’s Telework Policy.
Salary & Terms
- Support Group: Pay Band F
- Hours per week: 35
- Start Rate: $27.65 per hour
- End Date: March 31, 2022
- Posted Date: July 22, 2021
- Closing Date: July 28, 2021 (4:00 p.m.)
How to Prepare your Application for Submission: You will be able to attach only one document to your application. To prepare your application: Combine your cover letter and resume as one document. Save your document in .PDF, .doc, or .docx format using Last Name, First Name as your naming convention. Click on the Apply Here button and complete the application form. Attach your cover letter/resume document to the application form.
THIS IS A TERM BARGAINING UNIT POSITION
The College is committed to employment equity. We encourage members of the designated groups to apply and self-identify. St. Lawrence College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. We will make appropriate accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process for applicants with disabilities on request, prior to the assessment phase. To obtain a copy of this position vacancy or any of the position related documents in an alternate format please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and our Human Resources Consultants will address your requests for accommodation confidentially.