- Job ID: SUPP-EXT-PT-21/22-090
- Location: Kingston
- Deadline: July 28, 2021
- Job Type: Support
- Start Date: Immediately
- End Date: August 2023
- Department: Career Services
- Number of Positions: 1
Reporting to the Manager, Employment and Career Services, the Career Advisor is responsible for providing ongoing support to students and alumni from the pre-employment phase of job search through to job offers. This involves advising and assisting international and domestic students, graduates and alumni with the development of effective resume/cover letters for a successful job search, self-marketing and interview techniques, job search strategies and overcoming employment barriers. The incumbent effectively provides career advice to students including employer contact leads and help in uncovering the hidden job market. The incumbent is responsible for the development and delivery of resume/cover letter, interview skills/job search workshops and the creation of career-related tip sheets that can maximize job search success for all program areas of the College.
Education and Experience:
Minimum three-year diploma/degree in Business or Communications.
Minimum of three years of experience in a career service provider role. Previous facilitation experience including an understanding of adult learning principles would be an asset.
Other Required Qualifications:
- Knowledge of the Canadian Labour Market, St. Lawrence College programs, employment trends, and marketing techniques are required
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite of applications: PowerPoint, Excel and e-mail communications (Outlook), Social Media, and video conferencing platforms such as TEAMS, Zoom.
- Ability to work in an environment with high-volume client contact and tight deadlines is critical
- Attention to detail and strong analytical skills are required
- High degree of professionalism and diplomacy are required when presenting workshops and managing classrooms where no initial contact has previously been made
- Excellent interpersonal and customer services skills
- Team player with the ability to also work independently
- Absolute respect for confidentiality
Physical/Work Environment Essential Requirements:
The successful incumbent must have the ability to report to the work location or work temporarily from a remote location with reliable internet access, as approved by the College and in accordance with the College’s Telework Policy.
Salary & Terms
- Support Group: Pay Band G
- Hours per week: 35
- Start Rate: $29.88/hour
- End Date: August 2023
- Posted Date: July 22, 2021
- Closing Date: July 28, 2021 (4:00 p.m.)
How to Prepare your Application for Submission: You will be able to attach only one document to your application. To prepare your application: Combine your cover letter and resume as one document. Save your document in .PDF, .doc, or .docx format using Last Name, First Name as your naming convention. Click on the Apply Here button and complete the application form. Attach your cover letter/resume document to the application form.
THIS IS A TERM BARGAINING UNIT POSITION
The College is committed to employment equity. We encourage members of the designated groups to apply and self-identify. St. Lawrence College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. We will make appropriate accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process for applicants with disabilities on request, prior to the assessment phase. To obtain a copy of this position vacancy or any of the position related documents in an alternate format please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and our Human Resources Consultants will address your requests for accommodation confidentially.