- Job ID: SUPP-EXT-PT-21/22-082
- Location: Brockville
- Deadline: Open until filled
- Job Type: Part-Time Support
- Start Date: August 30, 2021
- Department: Academic Support Centre
- Number of Positions: 1
- Duration: Casual
St. Lawrence College invites applications from qualified individuals for casual, on-call services as a Professional Tutor in the subject of Mathematics, on the Brockville Campus. The ideal applicant will be a responsible individual available to work up to 24 hours/week as required, on an irregular schedule, to support student demand for daytime, evening, and/or Saturday hours.
The Professional Tutor facilitates student learning by providing tutoring services in the Academic Support Centre. This includes providing support on a drop-in, appointment, or recurring basis to clarify course content and promote appropriate study strategies. The Tutor works with students in reviewing course concepts and provides various learning strategies.
The Tutor may be providing one-to-one tutoring, group tutoring, or workshops in-person and via online delivery (MS Teams appointments). The Tutor may deliver appointments to students in a variety of programs on different campuses, and also to students studying remotely.
The Tutor provides frontline customer service to users of the Academic Support Centre, a learning centre located within the Campus Library. As a member of the tri-campus Academic Support Centre team, tutors also complete projects related to services and resources, as assigned.
The ideal candidates will meet or exceed the following qualifications:
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a post-secondary program in a relevant field of study.
- One year of teaching or tutoring in the subject of Mathematics experience required.
Other Required Qualifications:
- Knowledge of a variety of teaching techniques and learning styles.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in medical math calculations in Health Sciences and Nursing (e.g. medical dosage problems, dosage calculations, conversion math).
- Experience working in a post-secondary educational environment preferred.
- Experience working with and relating to a diverse group of learners.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Effective listening, advising and consultation skills
- Advanced computer literacy (word processing, spreadsheets, database, email and internet applications).
- Ability to operate/troubleshoot typical office and educational technology and software to assist students.
- Collaborative and active team player.
- Strong human relations/interpersonal and listening skills are a requirement of this position with a solid understanding of the customer service ethic and ability to be tactful and diplomatic.
Physical/Work Environment Essential Requirements:
- Normal office environment. The successful incumbent must have the ability to report to the work location or work temporarily from a remote location with reliable internet access, as approved by the College and in accordance with the college’s Telework Policy.
Salary & Terms
Support Group: Pay Band “D”
Hours per week: as required, up to a maximum of 24
Start Rate: $20.80 per hour + 6% in lieu of vacation
Posted Date: July 8, 2021
Closing Date: open until filled
Send Cover Letter & Resume To: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the Competition Number in the subject line: Competition # SUPP-EXT-PT-21/22-082. Please include hours of availability in the day and evenings in your cover letter.
The College is committed to employment equity, diversity and inclusion. We encourage members of the designated groups to apply and to self-identify. St. Lawrence College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. We will make appropriate accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process for applicants with disabilities on request, prior to the assessment phase. To obtain a copy of this position vacancy or any of the position related documents in an alternate format please contact email@example.com and our Human Resources Consultants will address your requests for accommodation confidentially.