- Job ID: ADMN-22/23-092
- Location: Kingston (with Tri-Campus Responsibilities)
- Deadline: February 10, 2023
- Job Type: Administrative/Management
- Start Date: Immediately
- Department: Belonging, Human Resources & Organizational Development
- Number of Positions: 1
- Duration: Full-Time
The Workplace Relations Consultant will act as the main point of contact for their assigned portfolio within the overall workplace relations team. The Workplace Relations Consultant is responsible for the execution of the strategic objectives and internal operations of the Colleges Workplace Relations Department. The Workplace Relations Consultant provides guidance, leadership, and sound advice to the Colleges management team with respect to workplace relations functions, which includes the interpretation of Collective Agreements, College policies, procedures, and appropriate legislation. The Workplace Relations Consultant coordinates and organizes activities and documentation with respect to Employee/Labour Relations functions. The Workplace Relations Consultant is also responsible for the intake and progression of employees through the Disability Management program at the College and is the primary contact with the Colleges third party disability management provider. The incumbent responds to initial inquiries from internal clients and stakeholders and initiates appropriate actions in achieving measured solutions. The Workplace Relations Consultant is responsible for preparing a variety of personnel lists, surveys, and reports, etc., and for ensuring accuracy and compliance with legislation, the Colleges values, and Workplace Relations best practices. The Workplace Relations Consultant is responsible for researching and preparing appropriate documentation and correspondence for disability management meetings & reviews, hearings, grievance meetings, arbitrations, investigations, etc. The Workplace Relations Consultant ensures compliance with timelines, procedures, as detailed in the Colleges Collective Agreements and Policies. The Workplaces Relations Consultant represents the College at meetings, arbitrations and hearings as assigned.
Education and Experience:
A minimum of a 3-year diploma/degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field of study such as Business Administration or Human Resources. Studies that include a strong emphasis on Human Resources and Labour/Industrial Relations preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience will may also be considered.
A minimum of 5 years of related experience in a human resources environment, with emphasis on labour relations and disability management. Background must include substantial experience in a unionized environment, working with and interpreting complex collective agreements as well as acting as the main point of contact for employee’s engaging in the disability management process. Proven success dealing tactfully with sensitive issues, analyzing, and solving problems of an administrative or technical nature.
Proven ability and experience handling high volume, multiple task assignments accurately. Experience managing projects and setting priorities to meet strict deadlines required.
Other Required Qualifications:
- Solid understanding of standard office practices and procedures, including file management.
- Skillful knowledge of human resources functions.
- Customer service skills.
- Knowledge of College policies/practices/procedures; Collective Agreements, Human Rights and other applicable legislation.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, and database software (Microsoft Office Suite); email communications (Outlook); HRMS (PeopleSoft).
- Analytical skills – manipulating and analyzing data/statistics.
- Ability to coordinate/monitor activities, schedule meetings, grievances, etc., and follow up on action items.
- Researching skills – ability to research laws, arbitration decisions, past practice.
- Ability to provide administrative services including liaising, preparing correspondence, etc.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work in a self-directed manner.
- Respect for confidentiality.
- Detail oriented and accurate.
- Team player.
- Resourceful and flexible.
- Tactful, courteous, and responsive – ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Knowledge and previous experience in Disability Management.
Physical/Work Environment Essential Requirements:
The incumbent may be required to travel to other campuses on occasion. The successful incumbent must have the ability to report to the work location or work temporarily from a remote location with reliable Internet access, as approved by the College and in accordance with the college’s Telework Policy.
Salary & Terms
- Admin Group: Pay Band 9: $68,911 - $86,140 per annum, commensurate on education and experience. In addition to the salary, the position is eligible for pay for performance.
- Hours per week: 37.5
- Posted Date: January 24, 2023
- Closing Date: February 10, 2023 (4:00 p.m.)
How to Prepare your Application for Submission: You will be able to attach only one document to your application. To prepare your application: Combine your cover letter and resume as one document. Save your document in .PDF, .doc, or .docx format using Last Name, First Name as your naming convention. Click on the Apply Here link and complete the application form. Attach your cover letter/resume document to the application form.
THIS IS A FULL-TIME ADMINISTRATIVE POSITION
St. Lawrence College is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. We encourage and welcome applications from members of the designated groups, including women, racialized minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation and identity. St. Lawrence College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. SLC provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. To obtain a copy of this position vacancy or any of the position related documents in an alternate format please contact email@example.com and our Human Resources Consultants will address your requests for accommodation confidentially.
This job opportunity is open to both internal and external applicants. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.