- Job ID ACAD-23/24-070
- Location: Kingston
- Deadline: June 6, 2023
- Job Type: Faculty
- Start Date: August 21, 2023
- Department: Academic Division
- Number of Positions: 1
- Duration: Full-Time
St. Lawrence College is seeking one experienced and motivated professional who shares St. Lawrence College’s vision to be a globally recognized college, delivering innovative learning opportunities and preparing career-ready graduates to be leaders in their field.
St. Lawrence College is currently seeking one qualified Professor on a full-time basis with experience and expertise in Personal Support Worker.
This position will be primarily located at Kingston Campus. Professors must be willing to teach, as needed, at any of our Campuses (Kingston, Brockville, or Cornwall). Candidates must be available to teach Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 9:30 p.m.
The responsibilities of St. Lawrence College Professors include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a positive learning environment that accommodate students’ diverse culture and educational backgrounds, experience and individual learning preferences;
- Effectively use educational and advanced technologies, and digital learning methodologies to enhance the student learning experience;
- Developing curriculum that is appropriately designed and uses evidence-based tools and strategies to support and assess student learning;
- Utilize principles of adult education to actively engage students in the learning process;
- Ensuring that course and program curriculum is current and relevant with a lens on the future;
- Working effectively with learners, colleagues, program and interdisciplinary teams as well as internal and external stakeholders;
- Effectively use the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning to build a contemporary and evidenced based practice.
The ideal candidate will meet or exceed the following qualifications:
Education / Certification / Designation:
- Education: A minimum of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and a Master’s degree in Nursing, Health Sciences, or Education completed or in progress is required.
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years of practical and current experience in healthcare and working with PSW’s.
- Industry Knowledge/Skills: Knowledge of PSW best practices and experience in long-term care and community settings. Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario. Current membership in the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario, and the Canadian Nurses’ Association. Current certification in CPR. Demonstrated thorough knowledge of current trends in nursing practice. Demonstrated ability to teach the entry-level practitioner in the classroom and/or lab settings. A history of professional reflective practice, scholarship and peer-reviewed publications would be an asset and will be required for the ongoing success of the candidate.
- Proven experience leading a diverse team of peers or colleagues.
- Teaching experience using a Learning Management System and virtual meeting technology system.
- Teaching experience at the post-secondary level or experience in adult instruction techniques and practice using principles of andragogy and curriculum design experience will be required.
- A demonstrated practice supporting a diversity of learners.
- Experience participating in industry-led or community-based applied research will be an asset.
- A proven track record of life-long learning.
- A demonstrated commitment to putting “students’ first”.
- As part of their resume submission, candidates are requested to list all St. Lawrence College teacher training or equivalent training, including teacher training they have previously undertaken elsewhere.
- A global mindset, and intercultural knowledge and competence to teach in a global environment including international students is required.
- An understanding of the Ontario college system is preferred.
- Successful candidates are expected to model and promote our College values of: Students First, Teamwork, Innovation, Integrity and Belonging.
Candidates who do not meet the education specified but who possess a relevant and acceptable combination of education, training, and a depth of industry experience may be considered.
Candidates seeking full-time faculty positions with the College will be required to demonstrate the ability to design, facilitate and assess learning in accordance with adult learning principles and universal design in learning (UDL). An ongoing commitment to professional learning will be expected.
Successful candidates are expected to have a reliable internet connection and the ability to teach on Campus or remotely, as may be required. The use of virtual meetings through video conferencing software will be required in this role. Professors are also expected to possess or develop proficiency in the use of a Learning Management Software (LMS) to a degree that meets academic standards.
All new full-time Professors will engage in the “Contemporary Educators Program” as part of their onboarding and orientation to teaching at St. Lawrence College. This program is designed to provide new faculty with a strong theoretical foundation of teaching and learning, the teaching tools and strategies required for teaching in a contemporary and modern learning institution and will provide new faculty with a sense of professional community and a teaching and learning network. The program models St. Lawrence’s culture of innovative teaching and learning and SLC’s vision of “student’s first” and experiential learning opportunities.
Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide a teaching demonstration. Details will be provided when interviews are scheduled.
Salary & Terms
Salary: Up to $117,697 per annum: salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Start Date: August 21, 2023
- Posted Date: May 24, 2023
- Closing Date: June 6, 2023 (4:00 p.m.)
How to Prepare your Application for Submission: You will be able to attach only one document to your application. To prepare your application: Combine your cover letter and resume as one document. Save your document in .PDF, .doc, or .docx format using Last Name, First Name as your naming convention. Click on the Apply Here link and complete the application form. Attach your cover letter/resume document to the application form.
The College is committed to employment equity, diversity and inclusion. We encourage members of the designated groups to apply and to self-identify. St. Lawrence College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. We will make appropriate accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process for applicants with disabilities on request, prior to the assessment phase. To obtain a copy of this position vacancy or any of the position related documents in an alternate format please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and our Human Resources Consultants will address your requests for accommodation confidentially.