This certificate explores the practices, principles and philosophies involved in local food system development. The focus is on increasing both academic and hands-on knowledge of regional food initiatives across Canada, alongside international best practices. There is a specific concentration on applied learning, online networking, and community research. This certificate is the first of its kind in Canada, providing a cutting edge advantage when competing for work in the sustainable local food sector.
To successfully complete this program, participants must complete six (6) compulsory courses.
The demand for part-time courses has increased to the point that we recommend you register early to ensure your acceptance into the course. Online courses are easily identified by CS at the beginning of the course code (i.e. CSSE 65 Accounting Basics 1) Textbooks and additional materials may be required for these courses. YOU are responsible for purchasing your textbooks and any additional materials for all courses. Please make a note of your course code (CS##) and see the bottom of this page for book order procedure.
Visit the Online and Continuing Education catalogue for course details and to register.
Human Ecology of Food System
View the bios of our Local Food Certificate Instructors
Download our 2017-2018 SCHEDULE (1 page pdf)
Who is this program meant for?
The courses and certificate are designed for people who are:
- Working, or hoping to work (as professionals and volunteers) directly in local food system development in communities and regions across Canada
- Wanting to learn more about this important area of sustainable development
- Interested in a systems approach to sustainable food and farming
- Engaged by practical examples and innovative models, and critical analysis of food systems, informed by leading concepts and ideas
- Independent learners
- Excited about working in an online community environment that will facilitate new networks across the country while allowing participants to work from home with a flexible study schedule.
Graduates from the program may find employment opportunities with non-profit organizations, charities, community research institutions, international development agencies, and restaurants and grocery stores.
With this program you’ll be career ready. Discover your career options at https://stlawrence.emsicareercoach.ca