Skip to content Skip to footer site map

Step #1: Gather Relevant Documentation

Documentation Requirements for Post-Secondary Academic Accommodations

If you have a learning disability, you need a current psycho-educational assessment (completed within the last 5 years or as an adult) confirming the diagnosis by a registered psychologist or psychological associate.

If you have one of the following, you require documentation confirming the diagnosis by a qualified regulated health care professional:

  • acquired brain injury
  • hearing impairment (deaf, deafened, or hard of hearing)
  • medical condition
  • mental health diagnosis (e.g. depression, anxiety, ADHD, ASD)
  • physical disability or mobility impairment
  • vision impairment (blind or partially sighted)


  • An IEP provides background information, but does not confirm a diagnosis.
  • A qualified regulated health care professional is someone who is capable of making a diagnosis or conveying a diagnosis made by someone who can (e.g. physician, psychologist, nurse practitioner).
  • Students who are experiencing impairment owing to a disability or illness that is temporary in nature may also be eligible for supports.

Contact your campus Counselling & AccessAbility Services (CAAS) office to explore your options:

Brockville: 613-345-0660, extension 3154
Cornwall: 613-933-6080, extension 2709
Kingston: 613-544-5400, extension 1593

Step #2: Apply to OSAP for Disability-Related Funding

Many students with disabilities face additional costs beyond your typical tuition and textbooks. Given this, we strongly encourage all students registered for disability-related services to apply for OSAP. Eligible students have access to bursaries and/or grants to assist with the funding of services and equipment that may be required owing to their disability (i.e. psychological assessments or assistive technology).

To apply for Financial Aid through Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), visit the OSAP website.

We suggest that students do not check off ‘permanent disability’ on the OSAP application. The Counselling & AccessAbility Services office must notify the OSAP office that you meet the criteria for a permanent disability once we receive supporting documentation.

Please contact your campus Financial Aid Office for more information:

Brockville: 613-345-0660, extension 3230
Cornwall: 613-933-6080, extension 2722
Kingston: 613-544-5400, extension 1185, 1507 or 1287

Applying for Disability-Related Funding

Students registered with the Counselling & AccessAbility Services office and who are eligible for OSAP can apply for the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) or Canadian Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE). Your Counsellor or Accessibility Advisor will assist you in this process.

Step #3: Attend an Intake Appointment

We request that students with disabilities arrange for a confidential intake appointment as soon as possible to discuss academic or personal concerns.

Early disclosure of a disability enhances the student's potential for success.

When can you meet with us?

If you are starting classes in September, you can meet with us beginning in May of this year.

How can you book your appointment?

Call or drop by your campus to book an appointment with us:

Brockville: 613-345-0660, extension 3154, Room 100
Cornwall: 613-933-6080, extension 2227, Room M1461
Kingston: 613-544-5400, extension 1593, Room 01230

Note: you will be asked to provide disability-related documentation (if available) to our office prior to your intake meeting.

What should you bring to this appointment?

  • Any additional disability or education-related documentation.
  • Contact information for any healthcare professional(s) or community supports you are accessing.
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) if applying for disability-related funding through OSAP.